If you are looking to sell during spring, then you should start the ball rolling immediately.
Put your property on the market now while there are not many properties for sale. This will increase your chance of achieving a higher price because you’ll have less competition in the market place.
There are many things you can do to make your home more presentable when selling. We have previously covered these in detail (you can find these on our website under Real Estate Articles).
The next step is to familiarise yourself with the market. By having this knowledge you’ll have a realistic idea what your home is worth and you can confidently challenge agents who may dishonestly try to win your listing by quoting you an unrealistically high price.
You must feel confident that the agent you choose is well trained and capable of achieving the best possible price for you. Test their sales and negotiation skills and make sure you ask to see and check current references.
Tips for selling your property:
- Make a lasting first impression. First impressions are very important.
- The garden is the first thing people will see when visiting your home. Prepare the garden by cleaning up unsightly areas, weeding, pruning overgrown shrubs and planting colour throughout the garden. This can make a huge difference.
- Make repairs to things like guttering and fencing and have your windows cleaned.
- Buyers like to see clean houses. Pay attention to the kitchen and bathrooms, they are particularly important.
- Minor faults can detract from the impression of your home. Fix any obvious flaws such as dripping taps, sticking doors, blown light bulbs, broken door handles.
- Spruce up your home by giving it a fresh coat of paint and clean the carpets.
- Let lots of natural light in the house by drawing curtains or trimming any garden shrubs in front of windows.
- Declutter your home. This will make the house feel more spacious.